Bright, sunshine sweet lemon blueberry cupcakes. These beautiful cupcakes are infused with lemon with swirls of blueberry, then topped with a vanilla blueberry swirled buttercream frosting.
What I love is how simple and easy this no-frills cupcake recipe is. It’s mostly pantry staples that you likely already have, and then lemons and blueberries. Let’s review some of the key ingredients you’ll need.
- Flour – For the lightest and most tender cupcakes, I like to use cake flour. You can use all-purpose flour if you don’t have access to cake flour.
- Buttermilk – For the best results, full fat buttermilk gives the cupcakes moisture and tenderness. You can also use whole milk instead.
- Lemons – You can use any lemons you have available, but I love using Meyer lemons. They add a bright, floral note to the cupcakes which really drive home the feeling of spring. It is also sweeter than the regular lemons you find which works well here in these cupcakes.
Make sure your lemons are at room temperature and roll them on a flat surface using the palm of your hand before you zest and juice them. It helps ensure you get the most juice as possible.
Zest your lemons before you juice them, it makes the process a lot easier.
Don’t overfill your cupcake liners. It will result in batter that runs over and makes a mess while baking.
The cupcakes are finished when they bounce back when you gently press them or with a toothpick comes out with crumbs attached and no runny batter.
How to make
It doesn’t take much to make these lemon blueberry cupcakes.
- Make the blueberry sauce. Cook the ingredients for the sauce together until the juices thicken. Leave to cool completely.
- Make the batter using the normal methods and evenly divide the batter in the cupcake liners.
- Add some of the blueberry sauce and use a knife or skewer to swirl it in.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs attached. Allow to cool completely.
- Add some of the blueberry sauce to some of the frosting and add it, plus the remaining frosting in a piping bag and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes
Absolutely, it doesn’t change how you change you make the cupcakes
Yes. You need to double the recipe and use 2 9-inch cake pans. You will need to increase the baking time. I recommend to start checking at 25 minutes.